- OPEN: Mon-Sat
- 07 5525 2555
Durban Express Curry (South African)
Durban Curry or Bunny Chow – Often referred to a just a “bunny” this South African fast food dish consists of a hollowed-out loaf of white bread filled with curry. It originated among Indian South Africans of Durban and still popular today. Simple hollow out a bread cob and fill with your curry, use the top broken into pieces to slurp up all that delicious curry.
- 2 tbsp Ghee/Oil/Butter
- 1 Onion, sliced fine
- 1 tsp Ginger, Crushed
- 1 tsp Garlic, Crushed
- 1 tbsp Durban Express Curry Masala
- 500g of any Meat, Fish or Vegetables
- 1 cup of Coconut Milk, Water or Yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- Heat the ghee in a large pan until hot. Saut? Onion until golden. Add Ginger and Garlic, cook through.
- Lower the heat, add the Durban Express Curry Masala to the pan, stir well and fry until aromatic.
- If the mixture is too dry add a small amount of water to enable the spice to fry.
- Add the Meat/Fish/Vegetables and seal on high heat, stir well. Add the Coconut Milk/Water/Yoghurt, mixing well.
- Bring to the boil, then cook simmering until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced.
- Eat immediately but best if let rest for at least ONE hour before serving.
- Serve the curry with rice, Naan bread, yoghurt and chutney.