Channa Navarattan Korma Recipe (Chickpea Korma with Fruit and Nut)
Do you know why this recipe is called as Navratan korma? the dish is named as a tribute to the original navratan- the nine jewels or the nine courtiers of the mughal emperor akbar. So, we suggest to make the recipe with nine veggies or nine garnishes for a more authentic Indian dish.
- 1 cup whole Chick Peas
- 2 tbsp Split Chick Peas
- 3 cups Water
- 1 whole Black Cardamom Pod
- 2 whole Cloves
- 2 1/2 cm Cinnamon Stick
- 1 whole Bay Leaf
- 1 pinch Mace
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 5 blanched Almonds
- 1 tbsp Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 tsp Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp Tahini
- 1/4 cup Water
- 60g Ghee
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1/2 tbsp whole Blanched Almonds
- 1/2 tbsp. Cashew Nuts
- 2 walnut Kernels
- 1 tsp whole Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tsp whole Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp whole Pistachio Kernels
- 150g thinly sliced Onion
- 1 finely diced Green Chilli
- 1/2 inch Ginger finely diced
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Mudgeeraba Spices Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Cream.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- Drain the liquid of and add the water and spice and cook until the chickpeas are tender.
- Soak the nuts, sunflower seeds and tahini paste together and grind in a blender until fine to make the shahi paste.
- Melt the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Fry the nuts and seeds first until they are lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add the raisins and fry until they puff and then remove them from the pan. To the same pan add the onion, chilli and ginger and fry until golden.
- Add the powdered spices and fry gently. Add in the cooked chickpeas stirring well and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the shahi paste from above and cream.
- Bring to the boil and lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add half the fruit, nuts and seeds into the korma stirring well.
- Use the other half to garnish.
If using pineapple as a garnish and some added flavour please add lastly before serving, if left too long it can give the dish a bitter note.
Thanks to Dassana Amit for added information and photo for this dish.