- Mon-Fri: 9am - 3:30pm
- 07 5525 2555
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
Delicious morning tea anyone? Try this recipe, its sure to get attention.
- 450g can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp chai spice blend,
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup mashed over ripe bananas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Cream cheese frosting
- 50g butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp Mudgeeraba Spices chai spice blend
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- handful of roasted pecans for more texture
- Grease a deep 23cm round cake pan and line base with baking paper.
- Drain pineapple in a fine sieve, pressing out as much syrup as possible, reserving 1/4 cup syrup.
- Sift flours, soda and chai in a large bowl. Stir in sugar and coconut. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine bananas, eggs, oil, pineapple and reserved syrup in a separate bowl. Mix wet with dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Cook at 180 degrees Celsius for about 1 hour, or until cooked when tested with skewer. Cover with foil if top is over browning. Stand cake in a pan for 5 minutes and turn out onto wire rack to cool.
- Cream cheese frosting: beat butter, cream cheese, chai spice blend and vanilla in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth. Spread on top and side of cake.
- Top with roasted pecans
For that extra wow factor, make an extra cake and use extra frosting in the middle to join them. Cover the entire cake with more frosting and then add the pecans on top.