Sri Lanka Beef Curry Recipe
This Sri Lankan Beef Curry is traditionally quite hot but we decided to take out all the chilli and make it quite mild – a family favourite especially for fussy kids.
This allows you to add your own chilli powder or fresh chilli and increase the heat to what you require to suit the needs. This curry can be cooked with any meat, seafood or vegetables.
If you would like to change this curry back to its original, traditional heat, when cooking, instead of adding 2 tbsp of the Sri Lanka Beef Curry Masala to 1kg of meat, substitute this with 1 tbsp of chilli powder and 1 tbsp of Sri Lanka Beef Curry Masala.
- 50g ghee/butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5cm piece root ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Sri Lanka Beef Curry Masala
- 1 kg Beef pieces
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 1 tin of tomatoes or water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 1 chilli/capsicum, sliced (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a large pan until hot.
- Add the onions, ginger and garlic, sauté.
- Lower the heat, add the Sri Lanka Beef Curry Masala to the pan, stir well and fry until aromatic.
- Add the meat and seal on high heat, stir well.
- Add the coconut cream, tomatoes/water and salt.
- Bring to the boil, then cook simmering until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced.
- Serve the curry with rice, Naan bread, yoghurt and chutney.