Thai Red (Massaman) Curry Recipe
Thai Red is a complex layer of ingredients that come together to create a beautiful curry with great depth of flavour.
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2cm piece of ginger
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped lemongrass/lemon rind
- 1/2 tbsp blachan (shrimp paste)
- 2-4 tbsp Thai Beef Curry Masala
- 1kg braising steak cut into pieces
- 3.75 cups coconut cream
- 125g roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-prep: Mix the tamarind, fish sauce and boiling water together, soaking until soft. Squeeze off the pulp and discard, leaving just juice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the ginger, onion, garlic, lemongrass and blachan (all finely chopped), fry well, stirring occasionally until aromatic.
- Blend this mixture to a paste with the Thai Beef Curry Masala until mixture is smooth.
- Return the paste to the pan and fry well with a little more oil for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the meat and seal on high heat. Add the coconut cream and bring to the boil. Add peanuts and reduce heat to low
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Add the tamarind/fish sauce juice, lemon juice and sugar, bring to the boil.
- Remove the lid and reduce the gravy until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve the curry with rice and/or Naan bread.