Chicken Biryani (Andhra Pradesh) Recipe
Biryani is a celebration of all that is great about Indian food – the heady aromas, the vibrant colours, the fluffy rice and those addictive curry flavours.
Quoted by Nagi (A great Cook)
- Blend the following to a paste:
- 1-inch fresh root ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 green hot chillies
- 1 sprig fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Chicken Biryani Masala
- 1 cup oil
- salt to taste
- Curry ingredients:
- 500g rice (washed and cook)
- 1.5kg Chicken (small pieces)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (segments)
- 250g sliced onions
- 250g quartered potatoes
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 50-100g raisins
- 50-100g cashew nuts
- Juice of 3 lemons
- For garnish: slice or chop 250g tomatoes
- Pre-prep: Biryani Paste
- Heat oil, fry cashew nuts until lightly browned, drain, fry raisins and drain.
- Fry sliced onions until lightly browned, remove half.
- Add blended paste to fry with remaining onion.
- When ready, add Chicken Biryani Masala, mix well, frying gently.
- Add chicken and seal. Mix well with spices, add peas, potatoes, lemon juice and 2 cups of water.
- Salt to taste and cook until chicken is done and curry is reduced by leaving lid off and evaporating excess water (this is a dry curry but a rich curry sauce is an option).
- Grease ovenproof dish. Place a layer of rice followed by a layer of chicken curry, tomatoes, eggs and fried onions.
- Finish with a layer of rice and sprinkle with fried cashews and raisins.
- Sprinkle Biryani with 1 tbsp oil and bake until top is lightly browned. Serve with pickles and raita.