Roti – Easy and Gluten Free
A light and simple flat bread to typically enjoy with curry. This easy recipe is gluten free.
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup soft butter, vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the flour, salt and 1/4 cup soft butter in a bowl.
- Mix with a spoon for few minutes then add hot water to make the dough.
- Knead to form a soft dough. If the dough feels too soft add more flour or if it feels dry add more hot water.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth about 3 to 4 minutes and let it rest for 15 minutes. Cover it with a tea towel
- Divide the dough into small balls 10 to 12 equal portions
- On a clean surface roll the portioned dough out about 10 to 15 cm circle
- Over medium heat, heat the skillet for few minutes or until it’s hot
- Brush the skillet with butter or oil and start cooking the roti
- Cook the roti one side for 30 to 45 seconds then flip the roti
- Cook another side 30 to 45 seconds before you flip the roti, brush some butter or oil on it.
- When you flip the roti second time you should have some brown spots on it.
- Cook roti another 30 to 45 seconds more before you flip the roti third time, put more butter or margarine or oil on it.
- Cook the roti for few seconds and remove from the griddle.
- All together you have to flip the roti only three times. Sometimes you have to cook the roti a bit longer depending on the heat
- Accompany with your curry or use as a wrap